Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Slinger

As far as Things For Sage went, we were surprisingly quite nonchalant about the whole affair (we is a code word for Jo, since I was not so relaxed).

At first right when we found out Jo was pregnant, I wanted to rush out and basically buy Toys R Us straight out, but was reminded that 1) newbs don't understand anything (ain't that true) and can not really 'play' until much later, and 2) our finances could handle a few things, but not a whole store worth of junk....I mean toys. So we relaxed a bit.

A few months went by in the pregnancy (let's say the 5th month, as I can not really recall) and I again felt the urge to buy 'something' - hell anything - since at that point we had bought nothing, other than medical bills in the hospital for Jo's lung issue. Jo once again basically said "Calm down, things will work out."

I am a trusting person, but by the 8th month I started to go into mental convulsions of "Holy crap, we are gunna be parents and have nothing for him yet!" But to be honest, things at this point did begin to trickle in. Now Asia is a place where relations and relatives are of utmost importance as well as not needing to pay for things (for the full price, which makes many Asians quite frugal). Add those 2 things together and you get a crapload of hand-me-downs: clothes, clothes, clothes, toys, cribs, high chairs, etc.... It was at this time that these things started to come in.

Yet, we had still not technically 'bought' anything for Sage. I was determined to remedy this when we went to a baby store and looked around (Jo was price watching, as usual; I was asking: 'How about this, can we get this?' 'No, not yet' was the reply....and my face usually dropped.)

But then I saw a sling - that - YES! - was on sale - and we both agreed to get it since I already made it clear that I would love to hold sage as much as possible and be The Slinger.

So we got it right before he popped out and were ready. Heck, it is just a piece of cloth that you wrap around you r body and stuff a kid in. How hard can it be to work? Mothers and parents have used this for eons, so this was gunna be a cinch.

Here are my attempts at using it (as well as Jo's).


The "Necklace Method" did not seem too comfortable for Dad (altho Sage looked content).



The Hipster Man Purse Method seemed to lack something as well....


The (fashionable) Wrap Around Sashbelt / Sarong Method didn't feel quite right but maybe....



Now, the Baby-As-A-Load-Of-Fruit Method indeed has potential. We will have to work on this one as Sage gets his neck and back muscles up and running....




Jo seemed to get upset that I was using her child as a test for weird Daddiness, so she grabbed the sling from me and tried to show me how it should be. Here, (after watching a video on how to officially use it) she attempts to do her (lame) method.



Ok, she and babe seem happy, but you'll have to admit my ways are a bit more interesting (sans comfort, tho). I am still The Slinger tho, so I guess I will have to learn all the ways of the sling.



So while this was the first of Things For Sage, it has not been the last and Jo and I expect to spend much (much much much) more by the time we are in an old age home.....

No comments: