Monday, September 25, 2006

World Vision

Many of you do not know how Jo and I met, but I will save that for another post...

However, there has been a running theme in our relationship since the beginning: we both love children - teaching, caring, protecting, nurturing....and even though we don't have our own (yet - that is another post....), we have both taken steps to help a little.

I found out that Jo has been a World Vision volunteer for many years. For those of you who have not clicked on the link to the right yet (under Hotel Rwanda and in our Places to Go!), then basically it is an organization to help children. Simple.

And I am proud to say that between us, Jo and I have sponsored 5 children in various places around the world.

This is not a contest or something to 'brag' about, but I really believe that one of my purposes is to help as many children as possible - and the same goes for Jo. She actually has been sponsoring 3 kids for awhile and has been kindly encouraging me to do the same. However, it was only after watching Hotel Rwanda that the spark clicked and I have started on what I hope to be a lifetime of sponsoring and helping.

There was a line in the movie that affected me greatly - "They are killing the children first to wipe out the next generation." They, being the Hutus killing the Tsuti...and they did a good job - unfortunately...

Anyway, World Vision's motto is "One child at a time" and that is the main point. We may not be able to change policy on a large scale, but we can help individual children and families. Will you?

Go here or check out the other links....

Jeff & Jo

No comments: