Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Meeting of The Mom

"Are you nervous?" Jo asked.

"No, actually, I'm not." I responded. "You are the one that looks nervous! hehe"

Jo's eyebrow twitched and she let out a sigh through her smile that was tightening as we walked to the market to pick up some food to bring to her mother's home. I had had a relaxing ride up from Taichung to Sanchong (near Taipei), even though I got up earlier than normal for a Sunday - 8 am.

And here I was - on the cusp of battle - or so I would have guessed from the reports I had heard from Jo about her mom.

I was markedly calm - something that I guess comes with old age (haha) as a gentle mellowing of my usually fiery nature. In fact, now that I recall, I was quite calm about proposing and about talking about kids. Before, it was something that was always 'later' and something to be dreaded, but as Eckhart Tolle says in his book, the power of now is the only power there is.

So there I was, walking to the morning market (which is actually something I dislike since there are SO many people in a crowded area with sensory overload - usually displeasing senses as well), but was in a good mood and eager to meet The Mom.

After getting a heck of a lot of fruit and some prepared lunches, we walked back to her "Lao Jia" (literally: Old Home, but means where you grow up). It is an older section of the city and it definately has the ambiance of a traditional Taiwanese neighborhood (you will have to come here to actually know what that means....). Being right near the popular market (where we just came from), a nice park (filled with older gentlemen playing mahjiang or chatting), a school and bus stops to everywhere, it is also in a pretty convenient place.

As we walked up to the door, bags in tow, there was a quick flash of movement behind the door. Jo snickered.

It would be foolish to think that we could walk up without being noticed from 100 miles away. I mean, being a foreigner in this particular neighborhood draws a lot of attention - mostly - "Is he lost?" type of thing....

Anyway, she opened the door and I saw two deer eyed young girls - Jo's neices - caught in the surprise and shock (and dare I say fear) of seeing such a terrible monster as a foreigner....Nah, just kidding - well, kind of....hehe. Jo had told them before about me, but actually seeing an alien before you is different from contemplating about seeing an alien before you.

"Ni hao." I said to them and to the 2 other people in the room, who were a bit older and thus hid their shock a bit better. But everyone was smiling so that was a good sign (although, when someone is nervous they either open their eyes or smile profusely....).

I put the food on the table and stood around a minute nodding and trying to act casual.

Then The Mom came in -


Oceans parted, Firey rocks rained down, the earth trembled....


Well, if it was a terrible B movie, I guess that would be it, but only in Jo's mind.....(haha - she will kill me for this expose, but that is ok!)

I could feel the authority of her in the small room, for sure, but she was in a good mood and seemed to like the respect of "Bo mu, ni hao" which Jo mentioned was the greeting I had to give.

Anyway, I was ready for battle.

I was prepared for anything - I had even brought sacred talismans in
case things got out of hand. But all the fuss and worry ( for Jo) was for naught. It happened almost as I thought (I am sure Jo is rolling her eyes....).

Within a few moments, I was making (lame) jokes and small chit chat and actually The Mom was in a talkative mood - which I was assured happened infrequently. Even though Jo's mom preferred to use Taiwanese (a whole other language...sigh) there was enough Chinese that I understood enough to keep the chat going. I was not bombarded with 'interrogation-like' questions as I had been trained to answer the few days before. Oh, by the way, Jo's skill with a rubber hose and halogen light is quite good...Anyway, I was prepped for nothing.

But then the moment of truth came.


"Ni hui wan Mah Jiang ma?"


To which I assuredly answered: "Dang rang! Wo bi Jo wan de hao duo le!"


What came next will be talked about for generations and I am as good as in. Better, in fact. Jo is out and I am in.... Well, maybe not that much, but I walked away afterwards with the glowing satisfaction that this crazy foreigner will hopefully be accepted and part of Jo's family from now on.

Hell, I knew the outcome, but I am glad Other People did (not mentioning names....).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, but perhaps I am getting ahead of myself.

What actually happened was that The Mom asked me is I could play Mah Jiang, to which I said - Heck ya....


If you don't know what Mah Jiang is, actually it is a pretty cool game. I will bring one home and maybe we can play it later. Anyway, even though I was a bit nervous that I was going to play with 3 women - Taiwanese women - I was not phased. The worst I could do was to loose, but just to play and to look like I knew what I was doing would be enough.


I did not think I would become the Supreme Master Champion, though!

Yup, that's right, I raked in cash, glory and accolades for my skill (ahem, luck...ok, ok) and I left a stunned table of Taiwanese women wondering how the hell an alien can beat them.

Well, let's just say I have assimilated here.....

And I am in my new Family.....

Let's play sometime!

Jeff & Jo!








No comments: