Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Mr. Ol' Fogie & TaiDong Trip Day 1

Image Link

It was my birthday again this past week and I am now pushing the upper limits of how far 30 - something will go. So, I might as well come right out and sayit: I am 38 years young and damn happy.

Hell, I used to think 30 - somethings were on the verge of geriatric bedding, dentures and diapers. I felt a tinge of pity when I heard that someone was 30 - something, when I was in my 20's. Now, I h
ear that and think how young and foolish those whipper-snappers are.....sigh, I am gearing up to be a nice ol' curmudgeon.

But, I must say, I feel great and my life is pretty much almost exactl
y how I imagine it to be and want (all those Secret musings and thoughts do work, by the way). I have a wife that I love (and who is smarter than me), I have work that is interesting and fulfilling, I have a dog that listens to me (sometimes) and is loyal (most times), and last but not least, I have a smart, handsome and kick ass son on the way and that is so cool.

So indeed, I had a great birthday this year.

We decided that a great present would be to go out and travel one last time before the baby comes and wrecks havoc into our structured lives......but I digress.

We picked a superb spot - and one that I have not been to in Taiwan yet in all my 15 years here (I can explain why some other time). Anyway, I was so excited that we were going to TaiDong, which is on the Eastern part of the island, and coincedentally, the most beautiful part. This was perfect for us since TaiDong sits on the beautiful Pacific coastline backed by beautiful mountains about 2 stones throws away. Just friggin' beautiful.

Have I mentioned it is beautiful, yet?

The mountains and ocean also serves to appease us both as well, since Jo is the Mountain person and I am the Ocean person. In Chinese thought we can seperate most people into 2 kinds - those that like the mountains or the ocean more. If you like the mountains, you are peaceful and kind. If you like the ocean more, you are creative and wise. Anyway, whether that is BS or not, we BOTH had a great time there doing pretty much nothing but soaking up the ocean vibes and mountain air. Just beautiful....

Anyway, here are some pictures that can document our vacay. We spent 5 days in and about TaiDong and we are so happy we did.

TaiDong (which means The Eastern Area of Taiwan) is a very small town by Taiwanese standards. It is on the south eastern part of the island and is mostly populated by Aboriginals - but as with any modern society, that part of the culture is diminishing (too bad). It sits pretty much right on the coast, nestled up against some pretty hefty mountains (so it can not physically contain so many people, which is good, since there is much less pollution).
This pic was a 2 min walk from our first hostel, where we could see the ocean from our window,
but decided to get a closer look.



This is what greeted us, but we also found a small path down. Jo, being the mountaineer, wanted to go and worried Daddy was just being a puss when he wondered aloud if it was too sttep for her to go down. "Too steep!? I carry 25 poounds on my back on much harder trails, I can carry the Lil' One down this" were her words.....


And she did.


At least I am getting better taking pictures...


I had to do some climbing.


Jo noticed this rock and pointed it out. We both thought the same thing: Rhino!


It was getting later, so we decided to go back up. When we got up, Jo gave the ubiquitous "two fingered" salute for our son since that was the first time he heard the waves (except when mommy burps or farts)..... By the way, Jo is 6 months pregnant in this photo and while most people say her 'mound' looks too small, they sometimes forget that Jo is SUPER skinny and the 'watermelon' is getting much bigger now.....


A last look at the sunset before we made our way back to the hostel, where we promptly ate, washed and zonked out. A good start!

No comments: