Sunday, December 23, 2007

Jo's Trek to Taiwan's North Pole


Jo and I love hiking and mountain climbing, but we have very different ideas about what a good trip conists of.

For me, I would prefer to take a few days off work, don my backpack full of stuff, head to the mountain head and start hiking for - oh, say 4-5 hours is good. Then when we get to a nice scenic spot, set up a tent or things and either rest up a bit or make little treks around the campsite. Then head back after filling up with fresh air and great views. Of course, after this trek, you need about 1-2 days recovery to get back in to the working groove....

For Jo and most people in Taiwan, "hiking" is basically a full day of hiking, to rest a few hours, to wake up early enough to watch the sunrise and then hiking to another mountain about a day a
way. Then they return on let's say a Sunday and then go to work on Monday. Basically, I call it masochism, but Jo does seem to think it is 'fun.' Actually, to be fair, she openly says you either LOVE it or you HATE it (with like many things here).

I know I would fall into the HATE it category, but I am eager to test this theory, since I would love to see more of Taiwan.

And in honest truth, Taiwan is such a damn beautiful country that hiking through it would be great (however, I will also openly admit that Jo's stamina is most likely better than mine right now....).


Anyway, Jo recently went to Nan Hu area to hike in for 4 days. Basically, they hiked about 50 hours of the 96 total hours there! And even though exhausted on some parts, she and her group still had energy to take pics and enjoy the scenery (before crashing).

I really wanted to go, but I had to......work. Yes. Really. So while Jo hiked around Taiwan's North Pole in early December, I was hard at work on the computer....and such (but we won't get into that).

Here are some pics of her adventure!





Jo is in the Yellow Jacket






Anyway, I can't wait for my own trek to Taiwan's peaks. It may not be the ideal setting for me, but the scenery can't get much better.

Plus, I am a bit of a masochist myself!

Keep on trekkin'

Jeff & Jo


No comments: