Friday, February 02, 2007

Thank You, Taiwan!

Well, so far, so great!

Jo and I have been keeping busy by hosting my parents (from the states) and sister (from Okinawa) this past week - trying to get into the culture and life of Jeff and Jo.

I think we have done a great job in presenting Taiwan and Taiwan has done an excellent job at being Taiwan - fascinating, unique, passionate, happy, beautiful, with lots and lots of good food.

My parents were a bit - no, VERY surprised at the status of Taiwan and our lives here. After not being in Asia for 30 years (my dad was stationed in Korea during the Vietnam war), images from the news or books or first hand reports did not help much in altering the images of that time, so I believe they came thinking that Taiwan was a back water hick country. Well, parts ARE, but definately not Taipei or Taichung, where we are and I could feel the sense of relief and wonder as we took them around.

"Oh, this is so good" is a comment that we have heard too much from my mom (haha)! since we have been trying to taste the unique foods of Taiwan, with the glaring exception of Stinky To Fu (from this site), which my sister has already been subjected to on her first visit here and has recurring nightmares. But aside from that, I have challenged them to find something that they DO NOT like, since it is indeed hard to do (but, granted, we all have our likes and dislikes).

Anyway, it has been great. We have opted to take it easy, just hanging out in Taichung, with a brief visit to Jo's mom's house in San Chong, Taipei and to see the famous 101 building. Other than that, just walking around the night markets, strolling up the Greenway that links up the Science and Art Museums and visiting various temples and old haunts of mine are enough, especially since the BIG DAY is tomorrow.

I am proud of my parents for their ability to adapt very well and be amazed at our life here in Taiwan. For many years, it was like "Why the heck is he still over there?"

I think they are getting an idea of the reason.

Thank you Taiwan!

Jeff & Jo

No comments: