Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jo's Terrible Disease

I am home resting on this beautiful Sunday.

Oh, wait, I should say recovering since I was jarred out of bed this morning by a Taiwanese religious parade that inexplicably stopped on our narrow street for about 20 minutes blaring about 10 different kinds of music. This was at 9:00 am.

Oh well.

In fact, this post is about another serious matter: Jo's disease. I have tried to keep it quiet since it bothers me so much to talk about it, but I feel that now that she is getting therapy, and I am home alone today, I can go into it.


You see, Jo has a disease called Healthititus. It sounds terrible but there are cures and we are looking into them. She is actually away for 3 days spurred on by her delerium that she thinks hiking for 12-14 hours a day up large mountains with almost half her weight on her back is pleasant and fun. Yes, I know, I know; it is a sad state to be in. Usually, this type of activity is saved for grunts going or returning from front lines, torturing hapless sherpas or escaping from nuclear fall out. But we are dealing with it.

I have been patiently trying to explain that 'no, I do not think I will like to strap 80 pounds on my back, hike up steep mountains for 12 hours, toss and turn while trying to rest, do that 2-4 more days, come back and then have to go back to work with a smile on my face,' but her sickness is such that she does not hear this and continually asks.

If you or a loved one has this terrible sickness, there are a few signs to watch out for: a deepening need to go to the gym for more times a week than a hand has fingers, needing a microscope to figure out which cells have increased their weight density and then complain about a perceived rise in fat (which is delusionary), and most striking - the sad pitying eyes when they look at you (a normal person) since what they are really seeing is a blob of flesh that makes grunting noises when slinking around.

And the side effects should also be pointed out: a body that looks like it was carved out of stone, a youthful smile (when the person is not looking at you), and basically a reverse aging procedure that the older this person gets, the younger they look.

If that is not downright scary, I dunno what is. I just thank god that I don't have this terrible disease and I sincerely hope that you do not either.

Keep us in your prayers' we will get through this!

Jeff & Jo


No comments: