Friday, August 30, 2013

First Day of School


Well, today (Friday) was Sage's first day of school and it went over very well.

I have to admit this is MY first day of school for my son as well, so I was totally nervous and he was totally fine.  As usual.  I'm such a wimp....

Anyway, as a teacher myself, I know a lot of the ins and outs of the kindy and elementary world, so I will be keeping a close eye on things, but basically Jo and I have decided to let Sage go to a public school and immerse him in Chinese so that his Chinese will overtake mine in a few months or years.  Also, Da Peng Elementary school is public, which (supposedly) means less stress compared to private schools (which are commonly 4-10x more expensive mostly based on 'bilingual education'), but we shall see. 

Our initial impression has been very good and our conference with the school on Thursday went over well.  We tried to give the teachers a heads up about Sage's situation but they already knew a lot and have planned ahead, which is good. 

But the first day came and went and it was a breeze, especially since it was basically play day.  That helps.

Here are some pics... 



The night before the big day!

 Ah, a few minutes before we head out


 Yeah!


 sage is happier than I am!


 Jo thought it was a good idea that I did not go with him, so just she and Sage went.  Here he is playing one of his favorite games: 'kick the ball' (which is pool, but he prefers his version)


 This is a non English school, so he will be getting used to his Chinese name of Chi Hong Yi.  His student seat is #24.  He is in "Honey" class (the others being "Heart" and "Sweet" classes)


 This is where he will be now with 27 other kiddies...















The girl is the assistant teacher and she will be helping everyone a lot.




 Here is Sage's main teacher: Ms. Ye Zi.  

A good sign is that Sage did not want to go home at noon when we picked him up.  

More to come!


No comments: